Saturday, 31 October 2015

Galaxy

Unfortunately, this is not a post about chocolate.Though I won't rule that out in the future
This is about a print that is out of this world, that I'm hoping will take me with it. As more of a fan of artistry, than the scary, galaxy is what grabbed me for this year's halloween.












Product List, face paint, colourful powder shadow palette, and patience at the ready, we're going all galactic.

-
Begin with a blank canvas, as base makeup will only dull the colour, and upset the balance; a bit of primer - face and eyes - will give the subsequent layers, a staying power helping hand.



For my hair, I went for a wind tunnel wooshed back - like when you would take your ballet show bun out, but the hairspray would keep the slicked back in place. For some reason I associate the slicked back 'just got out of the shower' hair with sassy women and space.

Seperate, set away from the face, tease till you just can't tease anymore. Though I used hairspray (great glitter hairspray excuse), would recommend gel for inetnse hold - I had to touch up and it just ended up a bit more chav than chic.




As you can see from the paler shade of my tee, I'm going for skin shade NCPastel - more pale than most of space is really, but when it fits the costume, it's more convincing.
WARNING - they make white look very yellow - not just your teeth, but eyeballs, and my very white door, even with evening flash. 

Do sketch out general shapes lightly if you need guidance, I just improvised, and referenced my top.
General theme of working lighter to darker, periodically shading, chopping between areas and colours; movement is more realistic than just random splodges - I not only followed the general shade range, but the spread on my tee. Aim not to be symmetrical, the less you think about it the better. 


I paired the complimentary colours together on separate sides of the sponge, for easy chop and change blending - (green and blue) (pink and purple) (white) sponge; make sure to always wash the white in separate water, too keep the colour crisp. Face Paint is very potent, you don't need much to get opaque colour - be wary pink can look a little like illness on the face. Though I do love the look of it concealing my lips, it's not as longwearing - could choose, purple, pink, blue lipstick or liner?

It starts clown, but keep with me.







Sponge face paint application - the sky is not splodges, so I had 2 stages.
1. Colour. Start with the wetter sponge = more watery stamp, but block colour. Try to blend, and it can get a bit wishy washy. Hence
2. Soften when set. The dryer the sponge, the more spray paint like print - colour intensity dosen't suffer, it just creates softer gradeint. When dry, bump over borders with a bit of paint to blur lines - first patting off any access onto a tissue - no need to mix colours first, the bumping will for you.
Borders between tones still too harsh? Dull down with your very own rubber; not unlike with eyeshadow brushes, a productless apparatus (in this case sponge), is perfect to blend not yet set colours together.

Aim to cover all skin, but try not to overlap so much your take over the tone; back track by adding more of the other colour back in if needs be.


More of a sponge than makeup brush job, but chopping between tools will not only keep the colour's clean, but well blended. Tip: Ring finger with a bit of colour makes the best smudger.



You could simply stick with face paint, but generally the result is more patchy, very matte, and flat, so I added dimension in the form of shadows; some shimmery, some simply for shading. I do know better in terms of quality, but range and value for money trumps all others; the ebay 120 pan palette. Advantage to sheer shadows? Show's colour underneath, more subtle and softly smudgy.


The eye primer wasn't very effective - So I would suggest sticking to proper eye products, not face paint, on that area. I tried to rectify the situation by layering with shadows, using co-ordinating suitable shades as an exaggerated crease and highlight.


Space shades eb and flow, with stars/matter, lights, and differing atmospheres - for all said requirements, differing techniques.
I used the same blending brush for all border smudging, and bringing out the deeper features (softening any edges with my larger blush brush), for continuity; make sure to wipe clean every now and then to stop from getting too 'not meant to be' messy.


Unlike with watercolour - although it sets, there is scope to add and mix colours afterwards without removing the product underneath. That is upset once you add a different media, but overall it's a changable canvas.

Stippling brush was a great way to add colour back in if it become lost post shadows, without creating blocks of colour; can lighten underneath colours, or add highlights back.
Said brush was also great for creating the effect of a splattering of softer stars (a ft on the top), with the white face paint; softened colour, but tapping, and taking away excess with my fingers.


Carried the corresponding colours into the hair line and ears, so it looks less like a mask, and more like a mirage. I thought about doing my hands aswell, but the reality is, I had to do stuff.
Yes, an advantage of water based paint is it sets down, and feels like nothing on the skin, but despite appearances, this stuff can get everywhere.
Going top to toe? If you involve clothing, make sure the paint fades into it. What if?

My shirt was entirely splattered with all and other sizes of stars; I must admit it took guts to take the, dot it plunge.
As sporadic placing and sizing as possible. On my face, I followed my spots (as random as real life gets); elsewhere, I let the pencil decide how I placed. For the effect of 'shining stars', an uneven cross over the star stamp, with help from a small makeup brush.
Effective extras include, flicking paint w old toothbrush for a speckled effect (couldn't find one or risk my room getting ruined), or bringing in the metallics.

I stopped short, and just gave myself a shimmer shower.

I felt like my features got a bit lost in the merging of colours - may be the look you're going for? Mine's more, I'm a girl/extraterrestrial with galaxy print, rather than being the galaxy, which allows for more artistic licence.
Hence - bringing in my everyday makeup steps, just with more unsual colours, to the layering mix.
Subsequent shading (both light and dark) with various shadows, and various sized brushes, to all the highlights/lowlights/borders of the colours, or my facial/decolletage features; as added matter, and faux shine on the stars.
More layers equals more tone dimension.



I'm completely out of black mascara, so I selected some more subdued false lashes, purely to prevent mine from disappearing within the colour - eyelure, trimed outer edges. False eyelashes will always take more takes than I show you. Tweezers and a reliable glue are your best friends, galaxy or not.


Navy became my depth tone - calling my metallic blue liner, ft from last year's halloween 'I Robot', into play.
One, as contour - on the face, in disguise as meteor showers. 
Second, as an eyebrow substitute. Due to my brows being dark, they went grey under the colour rather than covered up; by way of  individual eyebrow hairs, I drew them back in so's not to look uneven and somewhat forgotten.
I softened the brow liner with my dual ended brow brush, with help from an eyeshadow, equivalent to that of the brow's background. No need to set, this liner sticks like glue.

Think you're done blending? blend a bit more.
Then to finish - readjusted the slick back, and added a final spritz of hair spray.



 FINI - dreary to galaxy


If I was gunna do a halloween look, this is what it would be - I just left it a little late to see. Maybe it's the inner space geek coming out in me - but all I want to be for halloween is metalic and magnificent.
Extra terrestrial makeup -  you could just do eyes, half face, a twirl? I went for the whole bust; it even looks like i'm not wearing a top - why would I be happy about that on my blog I hear you ask? - means my makeup truly blends in.

Looks like I've gone up a technicolor chimney or the powder paint in the art room has just exploded, but you could follow this face paint technique into other outfit options.
- Cloud, White walker, A painting, A fairy? To name a few; switch out the accessories and you have a whole host of possibilites in your hands. Could go with any last minute outfit - Black, Pastel-y, Catsuit, if you have one in your closet. Co-ordinate with colours - Black and white would look eery, perfectly demonstrated thanks to the computer.

Please don't mock my paint cropping skills - the galaxy print is not my own* but please let me keep it. 




Now I know what it feels like a to be a all out costume, freeze then move, busker (at home); can't touch anything - 3 step face wash, shower, then bath, with reminiscence of blue eyebrows for the weekend. If only you could put this kind of creation on like clothing - could be seeing my face in the stars more often.


It is a bit tricky, but works a treat


6 comments:

  1. THIS IS PERFECT. BEST MAKE UP I HAVE SEEN FOR HALLOWEEN. you have inspired my outfit for next year! i love, love, LOVE this!!!

    love the blog too, girl! if you get the chance i'd love for you to check out my blog and let me know what you think! (maybe even follow? no pressure though!)

    hope you have a wonderful week. :)
    love, rach.
    So, hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far from perfect - lorra skin you can see there - but thankyou thankyou thankyou!
      I felt pretty badass all night :)

      Absolutely have a nosey, again congrats on the engagement!
      And you, I really appreciate the blog love :)

      Delete
  2. Woooahh, this is seriously cool and so unique! Amazing job :)

    sophee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took the makeup to match your clothes quite literally aha
      Thankyou so much Sophie :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is totally gorgeous and so magical looking! You did an amazing job :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! As was your Egyptian :)
      If only dressing up like this was acceptable every Saturday

      Delete