Friday, 18 September 2015

Jeans for Genes

I love jeans. You'll often see me in them. Always see me searching for them. & I've done my fair share of talking about them. I take jeans very seriously.

I have genes, you'll always see me in them. When they work in harmony, is something most of us take for granted.
What if something was wrong with them? Who's offering support?
Now is the time to talk about them. We should take genes more seriously.


Individually, genetic disorders are rare, but together they affect 1 in 25 children born in the UK. Not only is that a horribly high percentage, but due to the random nature of these disorders - often completely polar to each other - each child has such a diverse set of needs. There are between 4,000 and 6,000 diagnosed genetic disorders: from physical deformities, to learning difficulties, to dizzyingly complex disorders, with effects on how the body works that wouldn't be out of place in a nightmares imagination. It's amazing how such a small out of sync, can have such a catastrophic effect. Some genetic disorders are apparent at birth while others are diagnosed at different stages throughout childhood, and sometimes into adulthood - but the effects are mostly perminant and incurable.
Jeans for genes, is themovement to promote genetic awareness - a fundraising day asking people to show their support, and wear jeans, for genes.

The money raised on Jeans for Genes Day - September the 18th - funds a range of initiatives that improve the quality of life, of children and their families, affected by loosing the genetic lottery - who by the nature of the beast, often feel misunderstood and alone. From building simple structures such as websites with a wealth of knowledge, to campaigning for urgently needed infrastructure, offering options to improve the lives of those whose health can't be improved. Other social support such as introducing resources to schools, uniting families with the help of support groups - the real experts, with a unique empathy and understanding. Time, education and compassion. All help with the gift of independence, to both families and children (which through my, all be it very different personal experience, can really see the value in). Safe guarding and guiding a future, that may seem daunting when you live day to day. The charity helps to build layers of support that these people thoroughly deserve.
It's easy to look to the charities that can offer a cure. But the capacity to cope, thrive, living their lives to the fullest, can be just as valuable a gift.

The main (and way I found out about the campaign) involves merchandise- the limited edition t-shirt which I intend to indulge in is unfortunately sold out atm. Like the jeans, I would wear this shirt anyday!
Any amount of fundraising, makesure you're doing it all in jeans. 



See why and what pair I decided on, in a Thrift Finds - Jeans For Genes special - coming Sunday (20/9/2015). Sneak peak on my IG.

Disclaimer - I'm a thrifty blogger, who has taken interest in promoting a cause. I took great care in writing this post; all information has been researched, but if I have got it wrong or offended in some way, I am deeply sorry. What I have written is placed purely for support. It's hard to talk about a subject like this without describing someone as their illness rather than someone with an illness, but I didn't want to misrepresent anyone or anything to do with the charity by quoting real stories. & I am lucky to not have a personal story to share. I URGE you to take ten minutes to read up a bit on the website. I am bewildered reading through their read our stories section, just how diverse the range of difficulties can be, & always amazed at the heightened ability to smile during diversity.
I hope the results of today's campaign will continue, to help them to keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment