Thursday, 27 November 2014

Take Note | Quiz 'Dress Your Nails' Competition

You know the suggestion, match your shoes to your bag - but how about, match your nails to your dress? I always aim for complimentary manicures for nights out, but making it extra snazzzy by mirroring your OOTD to NOTD, and you're in with a chance at £100 worth of vouchers.
All you have to do is pick out a Quiz dress that inspires you, make a naildrobe to match, and feature them both on a blogpost. Interested? All info here. There are a few conditions regarding Twitter, but for any twitter-less fans, such as myself, email competition@quizclothing.co.uk with a link to your post.

Now to my talon choice.
& Entry
To celebrate the upcoming season - & Happy Thanksgiving to all who do - I knew I wanted to incorporate some glitter, and nothing says sparkle like a serving of sequined dress.
Gold 'Sequin Zig Zag Split Maxi Dress' - old hollywood cool toned golds and creams, with a more modern shape and design. At £60, the attention to detail is pretty insane.

How To
Tools to make-me-up
> 2 coats of cream - though any base colour would work
> Followed up by an antique gold polish - be sure to use a fine glitter/shimmer = much easier to manipulate than glitter top coat - to etch the pattern with.
My tool of choice was the smallest Size - '#000' - of a nail brush set I got in my stocking last year.
> For added sequin effect, gllitter chunks courtesy of Barry M 351, became the accent; sporadically pressed on parts of the gold grooves.
> I would be lying if I said there was no need for touch ups, we can't all be WAH standard, so neatening up the edges with original polishes doesn't add much to the thickness, but much to the end result.
> Top Coat is vital - both so the glitter dosen't snag clothes, and smooth out the general texture of my nails, but mainly for longevity - you don't want to have spent a lifetime (truly some animals only live said long) on your manicure, only for it to chip the next day.
I wouldn't recommend the one I used - and no, I don't want to talk about it. That rant is for another blog post.
& yeap, even nearly a week on, it's still drying.

I took the overall Chevron and stripe design, picking out different sections for different nails - both for variety, and freedom - so this perfectionist didn't have to completely mirror each one. I used a mixture of free hand, dot to dot, and laying my brush flat, to get the desired zigzag and pattern.
Tip - Regularly wash your fine brush with nail polish remover, or it'll start to gloop up, streak, and scrape away any drying polish.
I also left my ring finger cream, because I'm a fan of the 'ring finger different colour' trend, and it kept my nails from being obnoxiously buzy. Not because I was running out of patience. Not. at. all.


Yes, it was a challenge, and yes, I'm a little embarrassed to digress how long this took me - but luckily this mani fits perfectly for this upcoming Saturday. I'm talking 21 shots with the best lady in town. Excite.

The competition ends Sunday 30th November, so get pampering, and whip up a NOTD for a chance to win - may be an impromptu post, but it may lead to an impromptu Christmas present?

Enjoy playing dressup with your Manicure,

Fun fact, my prom dress was from Quiz - now that would be the time and place for matching nail art
- scary that it's now 4 1/2 years ago!?^

No comments:

Post a Comment