Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Life | 'Teenage Dirtbag'

This post was inspired by a top I bought back in January. Yes, I joined the 'parental guidance' band wagon.

I decided that this would be a good sequel to my recent 'teenage dream' post. People aren't perfect, teenagers often less so than others. But that's alright, that's human, and that's how you know not to do such things in the future. Like getting your best mates to do your longer than shoulder length hair with one box of bleach - for example.

If there was a time to experiment with your sense of style, pull stupid faces, and generally embaress yourself - that time has teen written all over it. This post goes past the realms of usually perks - like, no bedtime, and getting to eat whatever I please without having to ask.

Top 5
ft moments, maybe not considered photo album ready
'Amber: 10, going on 20. Raw, uncut, 12A'
Buckle up, it's not going to be a very bumpy ride.

All things Hair
My hair took most of my experimental toll. I've gone from almost black, to ginger, to red, to an unfortunate canary white/yellow/brown striped do. Styles ranging from bob, to full fringe, extentions, & everything inbetween.
^ The multy coloured hair in question
I originally dyed my hair to combat the insecurity I felt at having mismatched hair/eyebrows, but quickly found it addictive. It can become expensive, and there have been terrible hair-speriences - just a warning.


My philosophy? It's only hair, and as much as I'm content with my current colour, I'm sure they'll be repeats in the future.
I hear blue/purple/pink wash is popular atm?

Ill advised outfits.
I'm sure there has been plenty. But one that sticks out in ma mind is lace body, seen here. I definitely went through the less is more phase.

Don't get me wrong, I still agree with 'if you like it, you feel confident, wear it' - some pieces I just can't imagine being confident enough to wear now. Including that.
I would probably also rethink wearing a pashmina as a dress, or pyjamas to girls brigade. Also, tight isn't always best.
Atleast I'm the only one who remembers these.. aren't I?

Girls trip.
AIYA F*CKING NAPA. I can feel the judgement already.

I actually want to place a level head on this myth. Holidays such as this have a stereotype of being bulshy, and full of out of control teenagers going wild, in their first slice of freedom post exams. Yes, there are aspects of this, but so far from what you would expect. I won't go into much detail, but 'Sun, Sex and suspicious parents'?, my experience was far from. Obviously, it comes down to the people, and the 11 pals partying by me, is what made this holiday.
If people would like a more indepth post on the ins and outs of my experience, I would be happy to do that.

Piercings.
As a salute to the end of GCSES, I was treated to getting my belly button pierced.

It was something I wanted to do for a while, but had only recently become old enough. I like it, that's the main thing, and now my tummy feels naked without it. Unlike with hair dye, I'm not addicted; having experienced bloodtest after blood test, the draw of creating more holes in my body, isn't strong. Yet.

General antics - Times like these, I question the genius of a camera.
'Party trick' at my 18th / I don't even like beer / Few too many drunken selfies

One thing that has changed, is all the peaks of embarrassment, are now documented, not just remembered through whitty anecdotes. Through Choice, or not, it's all there for people to see; now and forever.. I'm looking at you Facebook & Vine.

Did manage to scrounge this badboy from the depths of bebo / 2003?
I struggled to remember stray antics of the earlier years, and funnily enough, 'tween moments' weren't kept as keepsakes in the archives; why not mum?

Conclusion
I neglected to ask my parents, but I hoped they would agree, I'm not that bad. I've steered clear of the extreme.
Bottom line is, I still managed to get ID'd to buy a lottery ticket; so I don't think, at the ripe old age of 20, a bucket load of extra respect and maturity will come knocking/my way. But do I need it, is it a gradual change, like going through the phases? Does this mean mismatched makeup, outfits, tantrums and being generally looked down on by society, are a thing of the past? We shall see.


A BIG BUT -
with 2 weeks still to go, there is still plenty of time for that teenage rebellion.
Did someone say tattoo?
Disclaimer - I don't regret any of these things, nor is this me judging people doing similair; this is simply a light hearted joke, at my expense.


No comments:

Post a Comment