Friday, 10 January 2014

Take Note | Debenhams 'Winter Style Challenge'

I wouldn't consider myself a fashion blogger, but I do love my shopping - and creating outfits to my taste. Prompted by Heather's post on 'Ofbeautyandnothingness' blog; r.e Debenham's 'Winter Style Challenge' - prize £500 worth of vouchers, I thought I would give it a go? 
Window Shopping, Blogging, with a chance at a prize? There's no downside!

To enter, all you have to do is create a mood board featuring 2 outfits; one of  them 'Day time', and one 'Party look', both suitable for this winter season. Simply choose your outfits based on items in the 'women's clothes' section of the Debenham's website, within a fantasy budget of £250 per outfit. All official information is available here on where to enter, and requirements etc. 

Competition closes on the 13th Jan - happy blogging! 

My Entry,
What to wear this winter:


Total : £243 
(All original prices, rather than sale.) 

Tempted to go all out, to catch attention and step outside the box; but in reality, they weren't pieces I would actually wear? So, sticking to good strong basics was my principle. 
I decided to focus more on the juxtaposition of textures, than variations of colour and patterns.

Coats are my favourite accessory, so I couldn't not include one for each outfit. This parka was one of the chosen with it's lux fleece lining that, teamed with fluffy knit/nicknamed by mum 'chick' jumper, creates 2 layers of cream snugglyness. I only wish they had more colours on offer. 

I tend to steer towards looser cuts uptop, and slim fit on the bottom (as I think it suits my body shape better), so these high waisted jeans from Warehouse fit the bill - a style that has heavily featured in my current 'Winter Wardrobe'. The extra jean tucks away any over indulgence, and the acid wash creates some interest without being flashy.

Some say you should never mix black and blue/navy, but who hasn't worn blue tone jeans with black shoes? It isn't a rule I've stuck to in my outfits, blogpost or otherwise. These 'biker' esc pair, are simple and structured, with my chosen colour choice in both boot and hardware. The large ribbed stitching actually reminds me of the Michelin man; I still like it?  

To go along with the silver theme, this simple link chain bracelet, as no outfit of mine would be complete without a little jewellry.

To tie in the gold flexs from the jumper, and the silver accents everywhere else, I decided to include a Mineralise skinfinish in 'soft & gentle'. A highlighter lifts any face on a dreary winter's day, and with money to spare; I couldn't resist.  


 Coat / Dress / Belt / ClutchCourts
 Total : £248
(All original prices, rather than sale.)

Having scoured all of the coats on offer, this was my favourite. I like a sharper cut of coat on an evening; the slight moto style appeals to me as my own moto faux leather jacket is always within wardrobe reach, and the duo texture is a more subtle statement than colourblocking.

 Can't go wrong with an LBD on a night out, in my humble opinion, and this gathered wrap dress is one I'm seriously considering buying myself. Sleeves are more than a preference in this cold, and the sweeping shape would flatter anybody. 

With foolproof Black as my base, different style accents in my accessories is where to play. 

These shoes are the epitome of gorgeous, and thanks to the likes of Victoria Beckham, pointed courts will never go out of style - there were a few similar options, but with the fantasy budget, I stretched to the best looking of them all. Not just on the pages of 'Look' magazine, 'Cobalt' blue has been catching my eye recently. Since I have been loving the hue in a pair of jeans I acquired recently, I was certain that I wanted to include it somehow in my looks.

Unfortunately, looking for a matching bag was to no avail, probably for the best. 
Instead, this Illusion cylindrical clutch took my fancy. To both baffle anyone worse for wear on your night out, and appeal to my patterned side, with the shape and print original to my wardrobe.  

As a finishing touch, this simple waist belt will draw eyes to the smallest part of your body and add detail to this simple dress; without competing for attention from the other accessories.

x

I was really surprised at the variety of styles and brands available on the Debenhams website; M.A.C?
Who knew.


A-lot harder than I anticipated, kudos to bloggers who regularly do this sort of thing!
Even so, I loved my venture into mood boards.

 I am a newbie so be gentle if you please.
Good luck to everyone!


4 comments:

  1. The second outfit is my favorite, love the pop of colour with the blue shoes!

    xo Mélane
    Selfhelp | Inspiration | Positivity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snug as a bug in a rug thanks to that lining!
    And yes, I couldn't agree anymore, the blue courts are envy of all shoes in existence
    xx

    ReplyDelete