Sunday, 22 December 2013

Recipe | 'Sarah's Chocolate Roullard'

A best friends recipe :
For which I take no credit, but can concur that it is de-li-c-i-ous!

Ingredients - Quantity for 6-8 servings
6oz Dark Chocolate
5 Eggs
8oz Caster Sugar
250ml Creme Fresh
Punnet of Raspberries &/or Blueberries ( personal preference )


Method 
1. Line baking tray with grease proof baking parchment, and pre heat the oven to 350F/170c-180c/Gas Mark 4. My lining was a little half hearted, but I worked around it.


2. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites .


I feel your struggle. 


3. Mix the sugar and yolks until lemon coloured and smooth



4. Melt chocolate.
Low heat, in a glass bowl over water, is my chosen method.

 De ja vu? Might be my Rocky Road Recipe.

5. Whisk egg whites until they resemble the consistency of firm snow. Electric whisk, or with help from family members - are both optional.

6. Add chocolate to the sugar and yolk mixture - make sure the chocolate is still warm.


7. FOLD IN and cut, NOT MIX, in the egg whites to the chocolate-yolk-sugar mixture - so not to remove all the air bubbles you worked so hard to create. ehm.


8. Pour into baking tin - I use the handle of my spatula to tease the mixture to the sides and corners.



9. Put into the oven, making sure the mixture is level - a mistake I've made too many times before.


10. Cooking time depends - Recipe suggests 10-15 minutes.
I have found mine takes longer, but I use a smaller tin = thicker mixture. My advice would be to check every 2-3 minutes past the suggested time, using a skewer in the centre of the cake; when it comes out clean, it's cooked. Not an original tip I'm sure!

11. Take out and leave for 15 minutes.


12. Lay atop a damp cloth until cooled - this will make it easier to roll later on.



13. Flip out. I use the tin, then cling film and cooling rack sandwich trick.



14. Layer with creme fresh and berries to taste.


 Like constructing a sandwich; but with chocolate bread, creme fresh mayo and rasberries as of filling.


15. Roll up like you would for a Swiss roll.
I find using the cling film easier; to both prevent breaking up the edges too much, and help keep the pressure so that it doesn't unravel.


16. Add sifted icing sugar for effect. Store in fridge. Or eat straight away!


Eh Viola!

A perfect alternative to the traditional yule log associated with this time of year. Half way between a cake and a brownie; all be it a little healthier, still as scrummy.

I hope I did it proud 
Remember me when you're both rich and famous
xxx
 




p.s. Purposeful lack of AmBlog charm, want to keep recipes concise and informative :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very curious how you define "roullard" and how this dish got the name - I have never heard of a "Roullard" as anything other than a (uncommon) last name.

    ReplyDelete